Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sunflower Chicken Salad

This chicken salad recipe is adapted from one on Allrecipes.

2 c. cooked chicken (shredded, cubed, whatever you have on hand-I like to buy rotisserie chickens and pull the meat, then chop into pieces small enough for the baby)
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 c. quartered red grapes (or just halved, if you don't have kids in the choking age range)
mayo or Miracle Whip or whatever you like on your chicken salad

Combine the above in a bowl and serve on sandwiches or with a carby side dish. In my family, I divide the first 4 ingredients in half. Half gets mayo, and the other half gets Miracle Whip, as my egg-allergic husband claims it's less likely to provoke an allergic reaction.

This form of chicken salad was received favorably by the ever picky E. and my husband and I. This time little V. will only be getting a bowl of chicken, cheese, and grapes with a side of bread doled out in bird-size pieces, to avoid a possible egg reaction with the mayo or seeds.
I just love the contrast of the sweet grapes and salty sunflower seeds. It gives plain old chicken salad sandwiches an extra depth. It makes for a nice cool lunch on a hot summer day.

No comments:

Post a Comment