Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Potato soup in a bread bowl

Saturday's dinner is a craving of my husband's. He hasn't been to a Panera or Atlanta Bread Company for awhile, since the one in our town closed. We always used to get their potato soup in a bread bowl, so I'm going to try my hand at making my own version.

Potato Soup
Bear Creek Creamy Potato soup mix
6 c. Milk OR (6 c. water + 1 c. sour cream)
2 c. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Make soup per mix directions. Add cheese and sour cream and stir long enough for cheese to melt, then serve in the bread bowls.

Bread Bowl
round loaves from a bakery OR
frozen bread dough OR
if all else fails, from scratch bread bowls

I am cheating and buying the soup mix, just in case I have to make the bread bowls from scratch. I don't want to spend the entire weekend peeling potatoes AND baking bread from scratch. Lazy, I know. :P

Well, Publix did not have any fresh sourdough in the bakery when I went shopping and their frozen bread dough was full of trans fats (the soup mix already has plenty!), so I tried out the from scratch recipe. While not as yummy as sourdough, it certainly did the job. I added 1 T. sugar to the yeast proofing, and skipped the first eggwash, and only used water for the second washing, so that way little V. could enjoy the fresh bread. She gobbled up the bread, but the soup had too much onion/garlic for her taste (although just fine for an adult), so she only ate about 1/4 cup. E. was very excited about the bread bowls, but also abandoned her soup partway through, so I guess I have to say the soup mix is not kid-friendly. My husband and I both went back for seconds though (since the bread bowl doesn't hold much soup).

No comments:

Post a Comment