Monday, July 5, 2010

intro to couponing

I started learning how to coupon by exploring Coupon Mom. That site has a lot of free info. If you create a free account, she posts weekly ads for grocers around the country each week, with a list of coupons that match what's on sale. The basic premise is that if you buy a lot of stuff you normally buy when it's on sale with a coupon, stockpiling enough to make it til the next time it goes on sale, you'll save over the long-term. If your house doesn't have a lot of storage, I've heard some ladies make room by taking food out of the packaging, like removing Eggo waffles from the cardboard box, so they're still wrapped in plastic.
Anyway, here's a blog I found about Nebraska sales, like deals at SuperSaver:
Chicks Dig Deals
I found some more coupon blogs for Nebraska, for those of you who live up there:

Bakers: Saving Creatively

Hyvee: Little People Wealth
Penny Pinchin Mom
For those in the south, there's:
Southern Savers
I Heart Publix
To get coupons, I make sure I:
1) am on mailing lists for all the grocers
2) request coupons online from my favorite manufacturers (couponmom has a great list of websites to check out on her forum)
3) buy the Sunday paper, as I get back way more than $2 in coupons every week
4) attend a monthly coupon exchange group in my area, trading baby formula coupons for diaper coupons and that kind of thing
5) print out online coupons from coupons.com, smartsource.com, redplum.com and other sites

It does take a couple hours every week to clip and sort coupons, plan a menu based on sale items and make my shopping list, but I've figured the amount I save on groceries now is about the same as if I worked a part-time job, and it doesn't take as many hours, plus no need for daycare. I cut/sort coupons after the kids are in bed while I'm watching tv, and plan meals/lists during naptime or while I'm feeding Victoria.
I know it's a lot of info to process. Feel free to ask me more questions. I'm happy to share what I've learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment