Thursday, April 4, 2013

Black bean quesadillas

How have I never put black beans in my quesadillas before? Somehow the beans combine with the cheese to create this smoky flavor that I never could have imagined. I don't think I'll ever cook a bean-free quesadilla ever again.

tortillas (I use fat-free to avoid those nasty trans fats)
15 oz black beans (approx. 2 cans), drained
2 cups sharp cheddar, grated
butter
salsa
sour cream

Mix together the beans and cheese. Melt butter in a frying pan. Put about half a cup of the bean mixture on a tortilla and fold in half. Place tortilla in the frying pan and brown both sides. Serve with salsa and sour cream.

Warning: this is a messy meal. Those beans tend to slide right out of the tortilla. You will have beans burning your hands, but you won't care because your mouth is enjoying the flavor. Next time I'll experiment with a blender to see if it helps to puree the beans first, or if they'd still fall out of the tortilla. If anyone has already tried this, let me know if it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment